So this is like, one of the most specialist recipe combinations everrr.
We're talking gluten free gooseberry pie. Because my dad gave me GLUTEN FREE READY MADE PASTRY. Which is a revelation because I'd never seen that before, I love pastry and gluten free flour is, 'scuse my french, a bitch to make into pastry.
Plus my grandma gave me thousands of gooseberries. She grows them and they all decided to turn up at once before a rainstorm so she had to pick them and, stupidly, I said I'd do something with them. Course, they're awkward little fruits, more bitter than sweet and you can't even buy them at Tesco.
|SO MANY GOOSEBERRIES OMG.|
So Yes. Here's how I did gooseberry pie:
What you need:
200g of ready made pastry
500g of gooseberries
100g of caster sugar
A splash of water
Some egg yolk
And what you gotta do:
1. Preheat the oven to aroun 180 degrees celcius/whatever your pastry packet says.
2. Grease the pie dish with a little butter or oil.
3. Thinly roll out the pastry and place it over the pie dish. Push it down and shape it to the shape of the dish. Trim off the edges and save these to one side to make the lid of the pie.
4. BLIND BAKE IT! This should involve baking beans. I don't have baking beans. I asked the internet. Internet said use rice. I asked the madre. She said use lentils. I used lentils. I spent ten minutes picking lentils out of the cooked pie crust. Don't use lentils.
|The cat watching the pie become a pie.|
5. As your pie crust cooks, its time to make the filling. place the gooseberries (washed, topped and tailed) in a pan. Add the caster sugar and a splash of water and heat it up. Leave to simmer for about five minutes until the fruit is nice and soft. (I used frozen gooseberries so I cooked mine for a bit longer.)
6. Take your pie crust out of the oven.
7. Strain the gooseberries through a collander to get rid of the water. Place them in the pie crust.
8. Roll out the remaining pastry so it's large enough to cover the pie. COVER THE PIE! Brush the edges of the crust with egg yolk, and put the pie lid over the pie. Squash down the edges with a fork. Poke a few holes in the pie lid and brush it with egg yolk.
9. BAKE THE PIE. For around 25 minutes until its golden brown.
10. Sprinkle with a little caster sugar.
11. EAT THE PIE. Withh ice cream. Or custard. Or cream.Wonderful.