Saturday 11 May 2013

The Infamous Blueberry Muffins


Last August I baked some rather lovely blueberry muffins. I took some photographs and they all got eaten but I didn’t get around to blogging about them. And that would have been the whole story, had I not uploaded this photograph to Facebook...

Cue Bryony’s obsession with the blueberry muffins.

I have lost count of the number of times she’s asked me to blog the blueberry muffins. And today I flicked through the photos and thought hey, those blueberry muffins look super nice. I should make blueberry muffins again... So after yet another library day, I came home tonight and made blueberry muffins.

This is based on a recipe from a cookbook I picked up in a charity shop last summer for about £2. I went on a bit of a charity shop rampage and bought about four cookbooks for a tenner. Not too shabby. I’ve made a few of the recipes in this one and they’ve been a little hit and miss but this one definitely worked. I used Yeo Valley Blueberry Yoghurt with a hint of Lime. Mainly because of their ridiculous but awesome 
farmer-boyband advert from a couple of years ago.


So yes, to make 12 muffins, here's what you need:
225g plain flour
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
½ teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of allspice
115g caster sugar
3 large egg whites
3 tablespoons of margarine. Or softened butter. I used butter. Naturally.
5 tablespoons of blueberry yoghurt
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
100g of fresh blueberries

And here’s what you do:
1.  Preheat the oven to 190 degrees and put 12 paper cases in a muffin tin.
2. Sift the flour, bicarb, salt and half the allspice into a large mixing bowl. Add 8 tablespoons of the sugar and mix it all together well.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg whites. Add the margarine/butter, the yoghurt and the vanilla extract and mix it all together properly. Stir in the blueberries, then add this mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined - the cookbook says to make sure it’s not “over mixed.”
4. Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins. Mix the remaining sugar with the remaining allspice and sprinkle all over the muffins.
5. Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until they’re golden and risen.


 And just in case you'd forgotten, here are the Yeo Valley Farmers. HA.

No comments:

Post a Comment