Friday 5 July 2013

Oooh. Red Wine Risotto

Okay. I admit it. I really like cooking with alcohol.

I blame my mother. 

But this  risotto is pretty awesome. Normally, you make risotto with white wine, which is lovely and mellow. This risotto is made with red wine instead. I had this mad idea to make risotto with red wine a while ago. I googled it, and it turns out other people had the same idea. So I decided to just go for it, make up a recipe and see what happened. And what happened was pretty successful. The red wine becomes the dominant flavour, whereas normally the white wine tends to form the back drop to whichever other flavours you choose to add. And it went down well with the housemates, so yknow. I think it works.


I made this quite a while ago, but I think it serves about four people. We ate it with lots of Bryony's  excellent garlic bread.

What you need: 
1 Aubergine
Olive oil
Butter
3 Cloves of garlic
1 Leek
300g Risotto rice
1 Very large glass of red wine
2 Oxo cubes
1tsp Dried rosemary
1/2 tsp Mixed herbs
1/2 tsp Pesto
2 tsp Wholegrain mustard
1 handful of Parmesan cheese, grated
Fresh basil, chopped
Fresh parsley, chopped
Goats cheese to serve

And what to do:
1. Roast your aubergine. Chop it up into small pieces, place in a roasting tin and drizzle with olive oil. Stir it all around and place it in the oven at 180C. It'll take about half an hour to roast.
2. Chop the onion and the leek. Melt about 25g of butter in a large pan with some olive oil over a low heat, then add the onion and leek. Let it cook for about four minutes, then crush your garlic (or chop it up very finely) and add it to the pan for a further minute or so. Then add your risotto and stir it in to the onion/garlic/leek mix, coating it in butter and oil so it becomes shiny.
3. Now add the red wine and let it simmer and reduce. Once it has, you can either make up some stock with the oxo cubes and add this gradually, or just crumble the cubes into the risotto and gradually add hot water as youre going along. I tend to do the second, Bryony generally does the first but it's up to you.
4. Add your herbs and your pesto and your mustard, and stir it all through. Then let it all simmer as the rice cooks, adding more water or stock as it evaporates. 
5. After it's been cooking about half an hour, check on the aubergine, and once it's ready add to the risotto. 6. Keep stirring the risotto, and once the rice is cooked add the parmesan cheese and most of the chopped fresh herbs.
7. Serve sprinkled with goat's cheese and herbs, with garlic bread on the side.

Give it a go if you fancy something slightly different to "normal" risotto...


2 comments:

  1. Yum! This is amazing, I am definitely going to try this out when I go back to uni!! I read your blog on a regular basis and I actually recently featured you on my blog - http://tinyurl.com/holidayreads - and would love you to check it out. ( ´ ‿ ` ) Keep up the good work - I love it!

    - Luke @ chewkamu.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can highly recommend it - it was great!
      And thanks so much, that's lovely to hear, and thank you for featuring us!! Your blog looks great, I'm definitely adding it to my reading list. (also, hope you have a good time in Oxford, I've just come back from there and it was glorious!)

      Delete